The audio Bible has been released

A couple of years ago I spent a whole lot of time in my studio, connected via ISDN with a studio in Nashville, TN recording the entire text of the New King James version of the Bible. It was a monumental project that taught me the answer to the age old question:

How do you eat an elephant? (Answer: One bite at a time!)

So what’s the point of mentioning these old recording sessions? Because I promised in this blog that as soon as I learned how this project would be released, I would let you know and I just learned that you can get it through Audible.com, here. There’s a little flash audio player so you can preview the first chapter of Genesis if you like. If you’d rather go through iTunes, you can get it here.

At 774,000 words, I expect that will have been the longest script I will ever read. It was truly a great experience.

1. I listened to the sample on Itunes…..excellent!
    Im reading thru the Bible this year, I should just buy this and listen to it! 🙂

Great work Bob…..you’re an inspiration for many of us.

Brian Whitaker

Comment by Brian Whitaker — January 13, 2010 @ 6:55 pm

2. Brian,

Thank you for your very gracious comments.

Comment by Bob — January 13, 2010 @ 7:08 pm

3. Wonderful work as always, Bob. Congratulations on a stellar achievement.

Comment by Jeffrey Kafer — January 13, 2010 @ 7:17 pm

4. Jeff,

As an admirer of your work, what you say means a lot. Thank you.

Comment by Bob — January 13, 2010 @ 7:20 pm

5. Well done Bob! We’re working on a similar project and I’ll be sure to share it when completed. Nice work!

Comment by Mark La Roi — January 13, 2010 @ 8:11 pm

6. Great project, Bob! With such an immense assignment, I imagined the “young Bob Souer”s voice in Gen 1:1 and the grizzled veteran finishing in Revelation 22.

Hey, Heston did the 10 Commandments, you did the WHOLE BIBLE!

-Dave

Comment by Dave Spiker — January 13, 2010 @ 8:14 pm

7. Dave,

Yes, but Charlton had to do his on-camera, a much harder task. Mark, I look forward to hearing about yours when you’re finished.

Comment by Bob — January 13, 2010 @ 8:20 pm

8. Bon…

You have such a smooth delivery! Reminds me of Peter Thomas.
    Reading the bible is a daunting task. I recorded the authorized KJV a few years ago. Always got bogged down with the thouests and whosoevereths!

Congratulations. Great read.

larry

Comment by Larry Wayne — January 13, 2010 @ 8:35 pm

9. Larry,

Thank you. The New King James was really pretty easy to read. The place and people names were the main challenges, especially because Thomas Nelson had an official pronunciation for every one of them. We kept at it until we got them all right.

Comment by Bob — January 13, 2010 @ 8:40 pm

10. Great to hear this huge project is now available Bob!
    At the other end of the spectrum, I had my shortest project ever today billing for two seconds of voiceover:)

Blessings!
    ~ Ralph

Comment by Ralph Hass — January 13, 2010 @ 8:43 pm

11. Ralph,

I think yours was the smarter move, but I agree. I’m truly delighted to know this project has been released.

Comment by Bob — January 13, 2010 @ 8:48 pm

12. Bob, do you promise to read the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth? …. By God, you’ve done it!

“Our favorite professional storyteller … tells the greatest story ever told”. Congrats, Bob!

Comment by Charlie Glaize — January 13, 2010 @ 10:10 pm

13. Charlie,

Yes, I do so promise! Thank you, Charlie.

Comment by Bob — January 13, 2010 @ 10:18 pm

14. Dear Bob,

You are a Master at your work! Beautiful job Bob! And 69 hours 10 minutes…did you do the editing too? How long did that take?

Nice work!

Comment by Mike Laponis — January 13, 2010 @ 10:55 pm

15. Congratulations Mr. Story-teller! You did such a wonderful and inspiring job!

Best,
    Jorge

Comment by Jorge Velasco - Spanish Voiceovers — January 13, 2010 @ 11:13 pm

16. Jorge,

Thank you. And Mike, no I did not doing the editing. That was handled by North Star studio in Nashville.

Comment by Bob — January 13, 2010 @ 11:23 pm

17. Hey there, Bob…
    What a wonderful reading. Thank God for you and your talent. I KNEW there was a mysterious reason why I like hangin’ out with you…it’s the Spirit within!
    Continue to be blessed–thanks for being a blessing.
    Herb

Comment by Herb Merriweather — January 13, 2010 @ 11:57 pm

18. Herb,

Thank you for your very kind comments. I hope you will continue to be blessed also.

Comment by Bob — January 14, 2010 @ 12:02 am

19. That is a BIG script in more than one way. I couldn’t imagine anyone else doing it.

Comment by Chris Eder — January 14, 2010 @ 12:11 am

20. […] Bob celebrates the release of a massive 700,000+ word project he worked on a few years back… The King James Bible.  Congrats […]

Pingback by Bits & Pieces Part VI | TVE — January 14, 2010 @ 3:58 am

21. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Bob Souer and Wayne Henderson, Anthony Mendez. Anthony Mendez said: Seems like just… decades ago! Congrats, Bob! RT @BobSouer: My largest audiobook has been released the entire Bible. http://bit.ly/8IinYQ […]

Pingback by Tweets that mention The audio Bible has been released » The Voiceover Boblog -- Topsy.com — January 14, 2010 @ 5:42 am

22. Greetings, Bob! I’m not even a religious person, but knowing that you’ve narrated the Bible makes me want to hear it! I’m so very thrilled for your success, and congratulations on this monumental achievement!

Cordially,
    Karen Commins

Comment by Karen Commins — January 14, 2010 @ 9:13 am

23. […] four years ago my friend, fellow traveler and sometimes dining companion Bob Souer was booked to narrate entire Bible in the “New King James” […]

Pingback by voxmarketising - the audio'connell blog and podcast — January 14, 2010 @ 10:22 am

24. Hello Bob,
    I started following your blog a few days ago. Thank you for sharing your knowledge, time and talent with everyone. Your reading of The King James Version is beautiful! Have a great day!

Tamarah Carper

Comment by Tamarah Carper — January 14, 2010 @ 10:35 am

25. Tamarah and Chris,

Thank you!

Comment by Bob — January 14, 2010 @ 10:49 am

26. Karen,

Thank you for your very kind comments.

Comment by Bob — January 14, 2010 @ 10:50 am

27. Congratulations on this milestone in your career, Bob! This is truly impressive! Now that this project is over, what are you going to do with your spare time?

Comment by Paul Strikwerda — January 14, 2010 @ 10:55 am

28. Paul,

Thanks for the good laugh! Oh, I’ll keep plugging away, giving this voiceover thing another year. If that doesn’t work I can always go back to being a burger flipper.

Comment by Bob — January 14, 2010 @ 11:22 am

29. Wow, that’s a mighty task, done well. Congratulations, Bob! I have to ask, did you think of your studio as the “Tent of Microphones?”

Comment by Bill Pryce — January 14, 2010 @ 11:38 am

30. Bill,

No, that thought never entered my mind. But, thank you.

Comment by Bob — January 14, 2010 @ 11:40 am

31. Bob,
    I know it will be a blessing to all who hear.
    -roger

Comment by Roger Tremaine — January 14, 2010 @ 1:08 pm

32. Oh, Bob ,… Take a deep breath, now. Don’t you need to get back to work on these other Bible versions? 😉

American Standard Version(ASV)
    Amplified Bible (AMP)
    New American Standard Bible (NASB)
    Revised Standard Version (RSV)
    New Revised Standard Version (NSRV)
    English Standard Version (ESV)
    King James Version (KJV)
    New Jerusalem Bible (NJB)
    New American Bible (NAB)
    New International Version (NIV)
    Today”s New International Version (TNIV)
    God’s Word (GW)
    Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
    New Century Version (NCV)
    New Living Translation (NLT)
    New International Readers Version (NIrV)
    Good News Translation (GNT)
    Contemporary English Version (CEV)
    The Message
    Cotton Patch Gospel

Comment by Charlie Glaize — January 14, 2010 @ 2:02 pm

33. Charlie,

Nah, I think I’ll leave those versions for you! And Roger, thank you.

Comment by Bob — January 14, 2010 @ 2:18 pm

34. bob,

absolutely wonderful! i know how hard & how long you worked on this – truly a work to be proud of!

todd

Comment by todd ellis — January 14, 2010 @ 3:03 pm

35. Todd,

Thank you.

Comment by Bob — January 14, 2010 @ 3:57 pm

36. Bob –
    Listened to the sample audio yesterday, and I must say, that was excellent work. Dead solid perfect — voice & delivery! Wow!

Dan

Comment by Dan Amich — January 14, 2010 @ 5:47 pm

37. Dan,

Thank you!

Comment by Bob — January 14, 2010 @ 6:15 pm

38. Congratulations, Bob! What an enormous undertaking thou hast completed!
    How about extracting those pesky official pronunciations and putting them online for every pastor, speaker and layperson who is trying to get it right?
    (Maybe you could link up with biblegateway.com, and I also see they have a list of audio versions of the Bible that I hope you will get added to very soon!)
    Best, Jane

Comment by Jane Ingalls — January 15, 2010 @ 11:07 am

39. Jane,

Thomas Nelson Publishers all ready has all of those official pronunciations in an audio format. I don’t know if they sell it or not, but they probably do. And thank you for your kind comments.

Comment by Bob — January 15, 2010 @ 11:18 am

40. Bob,

Just listened to all the samples. Impressively consistent in energy, tone, and cadence… consistently impressive in all you do!

A powerful voice “for such a time as this…”

Neil

Comment by Neil Williams — January 15, 2010 @ 10:11 pm

41. […] four years ago my friend, fellow traveler and sometimes dining companion Bob Souer was booked to narrate entire Bible in the “New King James” […]

Pingback by is bob souer a voice over god? | Voices Of Advertising — January 16, 2010 @ 5:30 am

42. Brilliant Bob! You must be so happy. What a stellar achievement.

Comment by Stefania Lintonbon — January 16, 2010 @ 6:41 am

43. Bob,
    I have been waiting for this project to be ready… almost as long as you have. The timing of the release is perfect, especially now that I am spending more time on the road.
    Job well done. And I thank you for it.
    (69hrs, 15mins–Wow!)
    Willie

Comment by Willie — January 16, 2010 @ 6:06 pm

44. Bob,
    WOW! What an undertaking, and you sound fantastic!
    You have truly inspired me to reach higher!

MEGA MEGA KUDOS TO YOU MY FRIEND! 🙂

Comment by Anthony Piselli — January 21, 2010 @ 4:00 pm

45. Anthony,

Thank you for your very kind comments. I have no doubt there is much more for you to accomplish. I’m glad to be an encouragement to you.

Comment by Bob — January 21, 2010 @ 7:21 pm

46. Wow, you have a great voice, Bob! I just listened to the audio sample in iTunes. And only $10 for the whole audio Bible? What a fantastic deal. Keep up the great work!

Comment by Jonathan Hostetler — November 1, 2010 @ 10:51 am

47. Jonathan,

Thank you for your kind comments. I agree that it’s a bargain.

Comment by Bob — November 1, 2010 @ 12:07 pm