It’s not what you do

As Seth Godin points out brilliantly, your real marketing isn’t the stuff you do to try to grow your voiceover business. It’s what happens in-between and outside the boundaries of what you do that’s the real marketing. This is the stuff that separates those who thrive from those who struggle.

1. Brilliant, just BRILLIANT!
    Love that!
    Thanks Bob!
    Peace!,
    Liz

Comment by Liz de Nesnera - Bilingual English/French VO — January 21, 2010 @ 9:24 am

2. Liz,

Thank you. In this case, the brilliance is Seth’s, not mine. I do appreciate your contribution to the conversation, though!

Comment by Bob — January 21, 2010 @ 9:56 am

3. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by David Bowers, Wayne Nelms. Wayne Nelms said: Yes – Thx. RT @TheDavidBowers: VOICEOVER Blog: It's not what you do … http://tinyurl.com/ybreb3r #voiceovermafia […]

Pingback by Tweets that mention It’s not what you do » The Voiceover Boblog -- Topsy.com — January 21, 2010 @ 1:59 pm

4. My view, once you have created awareness of your product or service the true marketing begins to set yourself apart from the competition and that is based on your behavior in the market place, i.e. integrity, reliability, personality, and going the extra mile, then creating a space for the universe to let your marketing take on its own life. As in music, its not how many notes you play but the space between the notes that creates the emotional response and that is because of each musicians interpretation of the same piece. Malcolm Gladwell offers some great comparisions in The Tipping Point – a book I should reread and highly recommend. Thanks Seth for the reminder

Comment by juliette gray — January 21, 2010 @ 2:21 pm

5. Juliette,

Thank you!

Comment by Bob — January 21, 2010 @ 7:22 pm

6. I love Seth Godin! His books are deceptively small, but full of BIG IDEAS! I’m currently reading “Tribes.”

Comment by Dan Roberts — January 21, 2010 @ 8:07 pm

7. Bob, I feel like you are the one person I know who lives this philosophy every day.

Comment by Chris Fadala — January 21, 2010 @ 8:20 pm

8. That was a great blog (as usual) from Seth Godin. I am a huge fan! His books are deceptively small, but full of BIG IDEAS! I am currently reading “Tribes.”

Comment by Dan Roberts — January 21, 2010 @ 8:26 pm

9. Chris,

What a very kind thing to say. Thank you!

Comment by Bob — January 21, 2010 @ 8:29 pm

10. Chrissy speaks the truth!

Peace!

Liz

Comment by Liz de Nesnera - Bilingual English & French VO — January 22, 2010 @ 12:31 am

11. Dan,

Thank you. Yes, I really like what Seth Godin has to say, too.

Comment by Bob — January 22, 2010 @ 10:34 pm