Do talk with strangers

My friend Liz de Nesnera tells a delightful tale about some recent travel and what she learned while talking with strangers along her way.

1. I have to admit, although I’ve met some wonderful people on flights, I’m always weary of being “that guy” that talks throughout the flight. I tend to gauge willingness of engagement early on and let the conversation guide me. This is a great story! Thanks for sharing the link to Liz’s experience.

Comment by Anthony Mendez — February 15, 2010 @ 2:11 pm

2. Anthony,

You’re welcome and thank you for adding to the conversation.

Comment by Bob — February 15, 2010 @ 3:04 pm

3. Yep. I do it too. And it’s ‘almost always’ rewarding. The interesting comments and perspectives you learn, the personalities that are a pleasant to know, and the tid-bits of ‘new-learning’ that occurs, far outweight the occasional ‘stick in the mud.’

Next time you’re in a crowded elevator, it might be me who turns around and says “You’re probably wondering why I called this meeting.”

Comment by Dan Nims — February 16, 2010 @ 2:17 pm

4. Dan,

I’m learning.

Comment by Bob — February 17, 2010 @ 1:00 pm

5. Bob,

As a storyteller, you will find ‘leads’ to so many slice-of-life dramas being played out, only slightly to the right or left of your field of view.

You’re probably old enough to remember that black and white TV series that start with the intro: “There are eight million stories in the Naked City…”

Warning: if you are traveling with someone, it will drive them crazy when you engage in conversation with strangers. And be prepared for a stranger to ‘open up.’ Many people simply ache to have an opportunity to describe their own lives to a sympathetic ear.

Cheers!

Dan

Comment by Dan Nims — February 18, 2010 @ 12:01 am

6. Dan,

Thank you for the encouragement.

Comment by Bob — February 18, 2010 @ 12:05 am

7. Thanks for the link-love, Bob!
    It was a great experience and a fun one at that! 🙂

Peace!

Liz

Comment by Liz de Nesnera - Bilingual English/French VO — February 23, 2010 @ 7:18 pm

8. Liz,

You are so very welcome.

Comment by Bob — February 23, 2010 @ 8:39 pm