Jack Benny, Mel Blanc and Johnny Carson in 1974

I found this video linked on my friend Bill Elder’s blog. Doesn’t have much to do with voiceover, but Mel Blanc is there so I’m posting it here for your amusement, too.

1. What a great video clip. I loved the Tonight Show when Johnny Carson was the host.

Comment by steve mcgee — April 27, 2010 @ 9:55 am

2. Love this! My favorite part is the English Horse. Funny to see Johnny light up in the middle of the show.
    Thanks for sharing.

Comment by Pam — April 27, 2010 @ 11:44 am

3. Absolutely hilarious! Mel Blanc has been my voice over muse since forever and his work with the legendary Jack Benny is priceless. Thank you for this!

Comment by Herb Merriweather — April 27, 2010 @ 11:57 am

4. Steve and Pam,

Thank you for your comments. I love the English Horse too, Pam.

Comment by Bob — April 27, 2010 @ 11:58 am

5. benny’s writers often tried to find ways to stump mel on the radio. i have a show, which i reminded mr. blanc about the one time i met him, in which he was playing the various jungle animals in a safari narrative. as jack would mention the beasts they saw, mel would vocalize: “the fierce roar of the lion, the playful chattering of the monkey,” etc. then benny came to “and the weird, plaintive cry…of the giraffe.” (nothing) benny gave the line again, “…the weird, plaintive cry of the giraffe.” (still nothing, audience giggles, Benny drops character) “MEL!!!!” (mel comes back with that little schmo voice of his, “Dahhhh, giraffes don’t make no noise….” the laughs went on for what seemed like 30 seconds.

Comment by rowell gormon — April 27, 2010 @ 1:15 pm

6. Herb,

You’re welcome. And Rowell, what a great story. Thank you for adding that to the conversation today.

Comment by Bob — April 27, 2010 @ 1:51 pm

7. Brilliant stuff! I remember hearing the Mexican bit somewhere else, and it’s great to see Mel perform it here. Thanks for posting this, Bob!

Comment by Justin Barrett — May 21, 2010 @ 7:36 am