Spotlight on Tom

Tom Kane is featured in an extended interview that’s filled with lots of wonderful insights.

My thanks to my friend Dan Nachtrab for emailing me the link to this wonderful video.

1. Thanks. It was great fun to see Tom Kane’s interview. He’s yet another nice, down to earth voice over guys.

Comment by Chris Fadala — June 20, 2010 @ 12:00 am

2. I enjoyed this interview with Tom Kane. His Morgan Freeman and Yoda were are very good. Although I have never met him I have heard his work and I think he is great. Thanks for sharing.

Best regards,

Jim Lueck
    Celebrity Voice Impressionist / Voice Actor

Comment by Jim Lueck — June 20, 2010 @ 12:31 am

3. Bob (through friend Nick),
    Thanks for sharing this wonderful and insightful video regarding voice overs/voice acting. Mr. Kane is very talented! I am an aspiring and passionate voice over talent trying to find my way in this very competitive, yet opportunity filled field and am looking for guideance as I move forward. Tom’s congenial and matter of fact sharing of the voice acting industry makes great sense to me. Although, I realize I have to work on character voices to garner a competitive advantage in this wonderful field, one simple idea shared by Tom really hit home – about having to work to get a voice right for a particular project. I have found in my initial and early successes that the reads that come so natural are indeed the ones that win the job. I’m learning to let go of the ones I have to ‘work’ at – not because of the extra work entailed but because I won’t be giving the client what they want. Much like a gynast sticking a landing upon dismount or hitting a nice pure golf shot, nailing a read on the first or second take with little or no effort is PRICELESS and perpetuates more confidence and passion. I am very excited by what lies ahead. Thanks again for sharing your blog. My Best, Don Shab – http://www.voice123.com/donjames

Comment by Don Shab — June 21, 2010 @ 1:53 pm

4. Don,

Being able to do a number of “voices” probably seems like something you need to be able to do in order to have success as a voice actor. However, successful voice actors don’t do “voices” they do characters. Or they don’t, and have a single voice they use for just about everything.

You’ll find as you go along that there are as many exceptions to the rules as there are rules.

Comment by Bob — June 21, 2010 @ 4:37 pm

5. Thanks and I’ll definitely keep all of that in mind as I go forward. At this point I am probably dealing with a singular voice that’s ‘in character’ for a specific project I could be working on and when I get in that place I find that my singular ‘voice’ takes on multiple characters or personalities. Again, thanks for sharing and I’ll probably be reaching out to you as time goes on. My Best, Don

Comment by Don Shab — June 21, 2010 @ 5:35 pm

6. Don,

You’re welcome. Any time.

Comment by Bob — June 21, 2010 @ 5:36 pm

7. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Erik Sheppard. Erik Sheppard said: Voice actors at work – Tom Kane: http://tinyurl.com/2brxmfv and Tom Dheere with Trish the Dish: http://tinyurl.com/2dmfzkz […]

Pingback by Tweets that mention Spotlight on Tom ยป The Voiceover Boblog -- Topsy.com — June 30, 2010 @ 1:32 pm

8. Erik,

Thank you for tweeting this blog post.

Comment by Bob — June 30, 2010 @ 2:16 pm